Thursday, February 20, 2020
Capturing the relentlessness of the rain
Days and days of relentless, unending rain. It seemed like there was no way it could go
on, and yet it did. Grey skies, mud, puddles and even small lakes where before
there had just been fields. The earth could scarcely absorb another drop, and
yet the rain continued. On and on, day after day, with scarcely a moment of
relief. Maybe the odd moment or two of sunshine, but always another dark bank
of clouds on the horizon, promising that the sunshine would be short-lived.
Temperatures hovered around 5-6°C, adding to the general sense of cold and
damp. Nothing dried in these conditions. Laundry remained damp and began to
smell musty. The ground water seeped up through the brick floor of the pantry.
The hens, even when the door was opened so they could go out and scratch about,
huddled inside, murmuring their complaints, loathe to get soaked. Even the
snowdrops, normally the most hardy of souls, were tattered and drooping, their
frilly white heads bowed heavily with raindrops. It didn't even really matter
that the light was returning to these northern climes, as the greyness of the
skies and the eternal rain, made everything colorless and cast a dusk-like
pallor over the whole day. We didn't know how much more we could take.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
a treasure box of inspiration
It's madness to even be thinking about the next book when we're a bit lost and stuck in the first one, but I came across this amazin...
-
I'm binge reading the Mrs. Pollifax novels again, as I find myself in need of comfort. And it's got me thinking. What is it that...
-
I'm thinking about contemporary Lumka today. Who is she, how does she behave, how does she think? What does she do? I made her the ow...
-
So today I am thinking about so many things. How is it that I always have so much work to do and so little time to just be? I thought that t...
No comments:
Post a Comment